Volunteering at WCA
Student success relies on parental involvement to support academic achievement and character development. We maintain excellence at our school because each family is required to fulfill 35 hours of volunteer time.
Once you volunteer, please add/update your volunteer information. (Please allow 24 hours for your login registration to be approved.) If you have other members who contribute to your family hours, please list their names as well and connect them to your child/children – this way, whoever volunteers, your family will get the credit.
A computer is available in the front lobby for recording your hours, or you may enter your hours from home using the button above.
Ways to Volunteer
- Teacher Classrooms: Your student's teacher will have volunteer opportunities in the classroom. Please contact your teacher directly for volunteer opportunities. Volunteer time spent in the classroom or assigned projects you complete at home count towards your yearly volunteer requirement.
- Art Room Helpers: To volunteer in the art room, please contact Melanie Shaffer at the Elementary School.
- Organic Garden: To volunteer at our WCA Organic Garden, please contact Amy Legg-Rogers at 970-310-8343.
- Birdwatchers: Birdwatchers is a new program at WCA that brings positive role models into the school as an extra layer of security and safety. If you are interested, please contact Paula in the front office of the elementary school.
WCA has a strong parent volunteer base and several active committees.
Effective committees provide WCA parent stakeholders an opportunity to become involved at the school in a meaningful way. We encourage each parent to participate in our committee work.
Positive energy, a strong commitment, and a desire to support our vision "where students are educated, empowered, and equipped to reach their highest potential" are traits that our committees need as we move forward in important work this school year. Volunteering for our committees is a great way to fulfill your service hours of 35 hours for the year.
There are two types of committees - board committees and support committees. Meeting times vary - some committees meet in the morning after student drop off, in the afternoon before student pick up, and of course, some committees meet after school. Many businesses support community service, especially when volunteering for a school committee meeting that meets only once a month. By participating in committee meetings during the day, there is more time for families in the evenings.
Click on the various links to learn more and sign up for a committee that you would like to participate in. Most committees host their first meeting in September, unless stated otherwise.
WCA Board Committees
Board committees support board members in their work in governance and oversight. Each committee has one board member liaison and a committee member that serves as the chairperson.
The chairperson’s priorities and focus in leading should align with the governing board to carry out the intent of the subcommittee and to increase the likelihood of success. Board committees establish goals and benchmarks to measure success.
- Elementary School Accountability (SAC): First Wednesday of September, November, February, and April at 2:00 p.m.
- Secondary School Accountability (SAC): First Wednesday of October, December, March, and May at 2:00 p.m.
- Finance Committee: Second Thursday of every month at 2:00 p.m.
- Education Committee: September 14th, December 7th, March 18th, and June 14th at 4:00 p.m.
- Strategic Planning Committee: First Tuesday of every month at 2:00 p.m.
- School & Student Safety Committee: First Tuesday of every month at 5:30 p.m.
- Dress Code AdHoc Committee: Second Wednesday of January and February at 3:45 p.m.
- Expansion AdHoc Committee: August 24th and 3rd Thursday of September, October, and November at 6:00 p.m.
- Election AdHoc Committee: TBD
WCA SUPPORT COMMITTEES
WCA Support Committees support the day-to-day work of staff at Windsor Charter Academy. A staff member in a leadership role leads each committee. Parents and stakeholders, as members, work with staff to support the work of the committee.
The leader shares school priorities and focus of the school year that supports not only the vision and mission, but also the goals in the UIP, grants with strategic goals, etc. Support committees will establish goals and benchmarks to measure success.
- Technology Committee: August 9th, November 8th, February 21st, and May 9th at 5:30 p.m.
- Facilities Committee: Second Tuesday of every month at 2:00 p.m.
- Marketing Committee /Corporate Fundraising Committee: First Thursday of every month at 2:00 p.m.
- Playground Committee: Third Tuesday of every month at 5:30 p.m.
- Grant Writing Committee: First Wednesday of every month at 8:30 a.m.
- PTC Oversight
- Elementary PTC Boosters: Second Monday of every month at 8:30 a.m.
- Middle PTC Boosters: Second Tuesday of every month at 8:30 a.m.
- High School PTC Boosters: Second Tuesday of every month at 6:00 p.m.
- To learn more visit: http://www.wcaboosters.org