Elementary School Drop Off and Pick Up
student Drop Off—7:45 to 8:00 a.m.
The first bell will ring at 8:00 a.m., signifying the time designated for students to begin preparations for classes. The bell to begin classes will ring at 8:10 a.m. It is extremely important that students are not left unsupervised before the start of school.
Students may purchase breakfast in the cafeteria beginning at 7:30 a.m. until the first bell at 8:00 a.m. All other students should arrive at school no earlier than 7:45 a.m. Students may be dropped off in the following areas in the morning: Garden Drive, Diamond Valley, Academy Court. Students arriving at 7:45 a.m. will be allowed to enter the playground/back area of the school where they will be supervised by adults.
Students are not allowed to wait in the front of the building for safety reasons. The first bell rings at 8:00 a.m. and students will be allowed to enter the hallways to go to their classroom. On inclement weather days, the children will be directed to the gymnasium where they will be supervised by adults. Any student arriving after 8:10 a.m. must enter through the front office to receive a tardy pass to class. Parents must walk students into the building and sign them in after 8:20 a.m.
Morning Drop Off Routes
Garden Drive Drop-Off:
To ensure the safety of your children, please drop-off students between the main playground gate and the west fence line. After drop-off merge into traffic on Garden Drive and turn left onto Technology Circle. Vehicles will circle around on Technology Circle and turn right onto Garden Drive towards Hwy 257.
Academy Court Drop-Off:
When dropping off on Academy Court, vehicles should travel north on Diamond Valley from Eastman Park Drive or Logistics Drive and turn left onto Academy Court. Pull forward in the drop-off line as far forward to the west front doors as possible. After dropping students off, merge back into traffic on Academy Court and circle around the cul-de-sac and turn right onto Diamond Valley Drive to exit the campus. Please do not get out of your vehicle. Staff members can assist students getting out of the car.
Afternoon - Staggard Pick Up
To help minimize traffic congestion for afternoon pick-up, we use a staggard pick-up system. Please follow the staggered pick-up times below based on the first letter of the student’s last name. Please do not come before your scheduled time.
Garden Drive: Families with Last Names Beginning with A-G (Red Route).
- Families with last names beginning with A-D will pick up at 3:15 p.m.
- Families with last names beginning with E-G will pick up at 3:25 p.m.
Diamond Valley East: Families with Last Names Beginning with H-N (Blue Route).
- Families with last names beginning with H-K will pick up at 3:15 p.m.
- Families with last names beginning with L-N will pick up at 3:25 p.m.
Logistics: Families with Last Names Beginning with O-Z (Orange Route).
- Families with last names beginning with O-S will pick up at 3:15 p.m.
- Families with last names beginning with T-Z will pick up at 3:25 p.m.
Vehicles should travel north on Automation Drive and turn east on Logistics Drive. Pull into the parking lot south of WCA. Drive all the way forward and form two pick-up lines. Students should enter the car on the east side. Once families have picked up, merge into one exit line and proceed to the south exit of the parking lot and turn west onto Logistics Drive. DO NOT enter the Logistics pick-up location from Diamond Valley. Out of respect for our neighboring businesses, please do not block driveways.
Inclement Weather Plan
When the temperature or wind chill is below 17 degrees or there is heavy precipitation, students will be dropped off in the morning in their usual location and go to the gym to wait for their teachers.
When the temperature or wind chill is below 17 degrees or there is heavy precipitation, students will have indoor recess.
Administration will monitor weather alerts and updates for severe weather. If there is severe weather, students will be dismissed from the front or the back of the building. Depending on the severity of the weather, students may be held in the building until it is safe to go outside. Parents will be notified through email.
Students will be dismissed based on their normal pick-up location for dismissal from the building:
- Back Pick-Up: Students who are normally picked up on Garden Drive will still be picked up on Garden Drive through the back doors.
- Front Pick-Up: Students who are normally picked up on Logistics and Diamond Valley and Child Care Vans will be picked up on Academy Court from the front of the building.
- Purple Cone: Students who are assigned to the Purple Cone for pick-up will come into the office and parents will be required to check them out at the front desk.
- Walkers: Students who are walkers will not be released to walk in inclement weather due to safety concerns.
- Walkers will go with the grade level teacher whose group is exiting out of their normal walking direction (front or back).
- If parents intend for students to walk home in the inclement weather, then the parent must call the front office to give their permission. The front office will contact the teacher.
Safety Between Elementary and Middle/High School Buildings
Out of concern for the safety of our walking students after school, we are encouraging children who walk from the elementary to the middle school/high school building to walk using the route below. This route has sidewalks the entire way and a crossing guard at the corner of Garden Drive and Automation Drive. We would appreciate the support of parents to talk to their walkers about this route.
Students should exit the north side of the building onto Garden Drive. Follow the sidewalk west to Automation Drive and cross Automation Drive with the crossing guard. Turn left and walk on the west sidewalk of Automation Drive south to Firebird Way.
Many students are currently walking along Logistics Drive where there are limited sidewalks, heavy traffic, construction and no crossing guard.
Our pick-up is the busiest time of the day at WCA. To ensure that traffic is not backed up on Garden Drive, we ask you to follow the direction for our dismissal process. If you are assigned to a later time in our staggered pick up, please support us.
To ensure the safety of our students, we ask all parents, grandparents, caretakers, and/or guardians who are dropping off or picking up WCA students adhere to the following requests:
- Be patient and respectful to staff and other parents.
- Drive slowly and cautiously.
- Pull all the way forward before letting your student get in or out of your vehicle.
- Do not allow children to walk through the parking lot by themselves or be unattended in or near the parking lot.
- Do not talk or text on your cell phone.
- Model appropriate behavior by utilizing the crosswalk.
- Follow traffic patterns; no U-turns.
- Remember that safety comes first and foremost!